Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Manga and the Japanese Comics Tradition

For this week I read a little Astro Boy. I feel that I wanted to read this more than any other manga just because I remember watching the television series, but never really gave the comic a shot. I'm glad I did because it almost brought me back to a place of nostalgia, just like when I read the comic strips a few weeks back. I like the idea of this almost Pinocchio like story of this boy who is clearly a robot, but wants so hard to fit in. It makes it even harder for him to fit in when we see he has these powers, like he is a super hero.

I felt a little bad at times when I read how he was built by Dr. Tenma but then rejected because he was able to fill the void of Tenma's dead son. So in a way it was a sad version of Pinocchio. It definitely got happy though because they take your mind off of that a little with Astro having to fight different villains like robot hating humans or aliens. In the television series I remember Dr. Tenma being Astro's main enemy and then he finds out later in future episodes that he is his creator. Overall I liked Astro Boy. Sometimes I really think it's because of the drawing style too, but mostly because the story is really awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment