Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Wide World of Comics

This week I read Persepolis remembering that it was nominated for an Oscar for Best Animated Short, I figured it must be a good comic to read. I actually liked it. I do have to admit it wasn't one of my favorites, but I can see the appreciation for it. It deals with a lot just with Marjane's struggle in Iran. She is only a child and it seems like a rough way to live compared to living a moderately healthy lifestyle in the United States. She has experienced living in a country that has to deal with war and that alone I feel can make a child go insane early on in their lives.

The black and white I feel was a good choice both in the animated short and the comic. It gives that vernacular  of being influenced by the Middle East. Even the cover of the comic was very well designed to suggest its roots even just on a bookshelf. I was pleased that I took the time to read some of it and see what the comic was about. It definitely made watching the animated short a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment