Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stereotype and the Ethics of Representation

For this blog post I read Stuck Rubber Baby by Howard Cruse. This comic was definitely different compared to what I thought of when taking the class. But I can honestly say that I've been surprised by a lot of things that are considered comics. Besides the point I really enjoyed this comic. At points I find myself wanting to call this one a book because it felt so strong in story and character development. It deals with strong issues such as social equality and even sexual equality. This subjects at first seem kind of intense for a comic book, but I think that it is and was very appropriate for the time it was released.

The artwork was very well done for this book as well. It seemed to be very appropriate again for the time period. It seemed like this comic was published during the Civil Rights movement, but in fact it was published in 1995. The drawings to me seemed very old style. Not that it was a bad thing at all because it made me want to read more because of how well the artwork related to the time period, which I don't think was a mistake. Another thing is that the drawings had some realism to them. They weren't super animated and cartoony. They were drawn to have a realistic type of look which made them seem more like real people in a real hardship situation.

Overall the book was very well rounded and had a lot of drama which made things pretty intense like when Ginger becomes pregnant or when our Toland says he is gay which was suggested, but still a bit of a surprise. A very powerful read and strong subject for the time period for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment